Reservation in india essay in english :
Reservation is the process of setting aside a certain percentage of seats in government institutions for the members of backward and under-represented communities. Scheduled Castes (SCs), Scheduled Tribes (STs) and Other Backward Classes (OBCs) are the primary beneficiaries of the reservation.
The Modi government has tabled in Lok Sabha the bill seeking 10 per cent reservation for poor among the upper castes. The 10 per cent quota will be in addition to the existing 50 per cent reservation for SCs, STs and OBCs, taking the total quota to 60 per cent.
Initially, the reservation policy was only for 10 years after the independence to uplift the socially and under-privileged to stabilise them economically. Yet, the Government has failed to truly uplift the backward sections properly. It has killed the spirit of brotherhood and healthy competition.
Protests from various sections of society had come stating that development of one section of the society should not be at the cost of the other section.
Unfortunately today, we are divided widely into Hindu, Muslim, SC, ST, OBC from different sections of society. Reservations with the view of helping the deprived classes to avail equal benefits of an independent and free nation was introduced in the system.
Yet, the various governments till now have failed to truly uplift the backward sections of the society and failed to provide them with equal opportunities.
The need of the hour is to remove evil. Making education mandatory and free for all till the age of 15 is one good resolution that has been adopted. Other could be proposing reservation based on economic status and providing opportunities to students to earn while they study.
Reservation should not be forsaken because, every one wants that society should develop as a whole and everyone should reap the benefits of development.