Jal shakti abhiyan essay in english 250 words :
The Jal Shakti Abhiyan is a campaign for water conservation and water security in the country. It is launched by the Union Jal Shakti Minister Shri Gajendra Singh Shekhawat & has begun from 1st July, 2019.
The campaign will run through citizen participation in two phases, firstly, during the monsoon season, from 1st July, 2019 to 15th September, 2019 and then from 1st October, 2019 to 30th November, 2019 for states receiving the North East retreating monsoons.
The focus of the campaign is on water stressed districts and blocks. The teams of officers from the central government will visit and work with district administration in 1592 water stressed blocks in 256 districts, to ensure five important water conservation interventions.
An important part of the ‘Jal Shakti Abhiyan’ is that it will focus on five aspects – water conservation and rainwater harvesting, renovation of traditional and other water bodies, reuse of water and recharging of structures, watershed development, and intensive afforestation.
Scientists and IITs will also be mobilised at the national level to support the teams. The government plans to run water conservation, similar to the Swachch Bharat Abhiyaan.
There is a pressing need to make it a mass movement on the lines of the cleanliness drive. The government aims at providing drinking water to every household on priority and in a sustainable manner.
For this water conservation interventions will be supplemented with special interventions including the development of block and district water conservation plans, promotion of efficient water use for irrigation. The Jal Shakti Abhiyan should bring positive change in people for water conservation.
Points to Remember :
The five important water conservation interventions :
- Water conservation and rainwater harvesting,
- Renovation of traditional and other water bodies/tanks,
- Reuse of water and recharging of structures,
- Watershed development and
- Intensive afforestation.
Objective of Jal Shakti Abhiyan
- It will bring sensitivity on water conservation, and give it a focussed approach for better results
- For creation of baseline of water
- It will increase awareness among people to conserve water resources.
Goal of National Water Mission:
- To study the impact of climate change on water resources.
- To encourage the people and state to take necesssary actions for water conservation, augmentation and preservation.
- To focus on the vulnerable areas and, over-exploited areas to increase the water use efficiency.
- To promote the management of basin level integrated water resources.